Friday, May 14, 2010

My hamster escaped and my dog may try to kill/eat him! Will my dog get ill if he does eat my hammie?

I love both my precious hammie, Jacques and my little Dachshund, Houdini. (Perhaps my hamster should have been named Houdini huh?) Jacques went missing last night in the kitchen, I have looked absolutely everywhere for him and no luck. Unfortunately, I lock Houdini (my little dog) in the kitchen when I am at work. Leaving him outside is NOT an option and my bathroom is much too small for him to be locked up in all day.





I am concerned that my hamster may still be hiding somewhere in the kitchen. Dachshunds are hunting dogs (more specifically, RODENT hunting dogs) by nature and WILL kill anything that looks, smells or acts like a rodent.





My chief concern is that Houdini may eat Jacques while I am at work. Is there ANY possibility that my dog will get sick from having any contact with a hamster who has never had any shots??





PETA Activist Types:


Yes, I know. I am such a terrible awful human being for putting my dog before my hamster right? Do NOT get me started...My hamster escaped and my dog may try to kill/eat him! Will my dog get ill if he does eat my hammie?
Try letting the dachshund find the hamster, My son has a hamster and everytime it gets out, my dachshund will show me where he is. once he shows you where the hamster is, then put him up and get the hamster.My hamster escaped and my dog may try to kill/eat him! Will my dog get ill if he does eat my hammie?
If your hamster is healthy, your dog won't get sick if he ate him. You should keep your dog crated when you can't supervise him. It's the safest place for your dog, and your home.
I know that you don't want this to happen but in case it does happen your dog wont get too sick. They are hunters like you said and out in the wild that is what they do. If anything at all happens your dog might have some loose stool for a day or two. Also he could have an upset tummy for a day or two. If he stays sick after a couple of days then take him to your vet and explain what might have happened. I hope you find your hamster intact and well.
I suppose you may never know until it happens. Dogs eat all kinds or really disgusting things so a hamster kept as a pet I think would not be as bad as a dead bird outside.


I think you should really look into all your cupboards and the cereal you have for the hamster. They tend to love grain products.
I agree with what everyone else has said here so far. I have two dachshunds, and they do eat lots of crazy things. As you mentioned in your post, dachshunds are hunting dogs, and they do get the occasional ';meat,'; but it's in their nature to do it. I doubt that the dog will get sick...at least for not very long.





As for the hamster, I hope he is still alive. Poor little guy!
I always worry that my dog is going to eat something which will make her ill, or get stuck in her tummy because she will literally eat anything! But truthfully, anything which doesn't agree with her would just make her vomit and then it's out. As per other answer, if they found a bird or a rabbit in the wild they would eat it so your dog might try to eat the hamster (poor thing) but i doubt any lasting damage would be done. It may just chase it a round a bit instead.





Don't worry i don't think your dog would become poorly because if it.
poor lil hamster.....

No comments:

Post a Comment