Friday, May 14, 2010

What do I give a terminally ill man for xmas? this will be is last one,my dad.?

been there. 2 yrs ago with my sis. i wish i had thought to write her a letter,saying all the things i never had. by the time i did write it, it was to late. she was basically comatose due to the pain meds. her husband read it to her but it wasn't the same.


do yourself and your dad a favor. give him your time. listen. have him tell you stories about when he and you were young. write that letter. you won't regret it.


i am sorry you're going through this. make every minute count.What do I give a terminally ill man for xmas? this will be is last one,my dad.?
I agree with other answers......write him something to let him know how much you love him and just make this a special day. Spend time with him.....as much as you possibly can. I just spent the last month or so helping a friend with cancer. It initially was just going over to her house making sure she didn't fall and being there to get things for her......it turned into much more. I noticed that her boys didn't stop by as much as they should....maybe because they didn't realize how bad she really was, maybe they weren't sure how to deal with it. She passed away this past Saturday. Quality time is important.....give that to your Dad.What do I give a terminally ill man for xmas? this will be is last one,my dad.?
I love the above ideas of a heart-felt letter. Why not put that letter as the opening page to a scrap book celebrating his life? Photos, old letters, mementos, notes from other family members, awards, ticket stubs....whatever you can find to put in the book that will remind him of the wonderful life he lived and how very much he was loved.





I'll bet you can get other family members to help you round things up.





Best of luck to you.
Give him you. What is most important when this is it is our relationships with others. Physically having things means nothing. So, if you share your experiences that are memorable to you that had to do with you dad, that would be wonderful. Spending time with you dad, that is wonderful. Everything is personal at this point.
Material things arent significant to the dying.


I think you could spend the day with him on Christmas.


It might be nice if you could round up your entire family to spend Christmas together as a family.
A Christmas present, just like everyone else.
Some of his favorite foods, and your time.
what stage and what type of cancer is he having. maybe i can help find a way of curing him. i am a doctor specializing in cancer therapyq
A book of memories with pictures or your thoughts. Mention the gifts he gave you and what they meant to you. Special times you spent together. Make it personal.


Knowing how you feel about him will mean more to him than anything material that you would spend millions on.


My thoughts are with you and your family.
I had cancer when I was 58, 4 years ago, The hardest thing I ever did was to tell my two sons, 14-17 year old. They were with me during the hospital stay and held my hand many times during the 4 months that it took to decide if I would make it or not. Today, both boys will stop what ever they are doing from time to time, and come to me and ask ';are you ok dad??';





Neither of the two will leave the house or go to bed without giving me a hug and kiss,,, Even if their Friends are with them when they leave the house.. They have done this at school in front of others, and we really get some odd looks. But I love these two guys and that is one reason i never gave up when there seemed to be no good news. Thanks Patrick and Sean








PS%26gt; give you dad the gift of time,,, Your time, talk to him, laugh with him, just sit in same room, read your book, and let him know you are there. Give you dad yourself... Stop feeling sorry for him, or yourself, and be glad you have him for the short time you have left
The best gift of giving is having loved ones with him, and letting him know how much you love him and appreciate every thing he has done for you.I'm sorry to hear of your dads illness and my prayers are with you.
I think that a hand-made scrapbook, with detailed descriptions of the pictures would be something that I would want to receive, if I were him. I know it has got to be hard, and you sound like you are being strong. Best wishes to you and your family.
a letter / a note / a message.


tell him that you love him (im assuming that you do).


tell him that you appreciate him for everything he has done.


and tell him that you love him.
The scrapbook and letter ideas are really great, that's what I'd do. You might also make him a tape or disc with some of his favourite music for when he wants to relax.


Be thankful you have this time with him and make the most of it, lots of laughter I hope. Take care.
Try scrapbooking. You can insert pictures with little notes to remember all the good times thru the years. The best gift you could give to him is a Thank you and I love you Dad.


I'm sorry for your situation.
Write him a letter with all the things you could never say to him face to face.
fruit basket. flowers, a plant, books, candy, movies on dvd, a tape recorder and tapes, men's colonge, favorite music. bed tray, bed side table, water pitcher and cup, hand held tv, comfortable pillows, a natural light lamp.





make it a good one for him.
I empathize with you and your family





I agree with the other answers so far. I think a letter of your thoughts would be ideal. Spending time with him is probably the only real thing he really wants. Other than that I would say to give him something that will give him comfort.
Spend the whole holiday season with him and the rest of your family. I'm sorry about your dad.
quality time;





loving kindness;





sense of humor;





appreciation of all the wonderful things he has done





special attention to his needs
I am a cancer survivor. I have had my share of fears. But family and friends pulled me through. I think a good present would be for you to get as many family and friends pictures as you can. Decorate a posterboard with the pictures and as many signatures and comments as you can, and give that to your dad. I know that I would like something like that.
Really, spending as much time with him as humanly possible would be the best present you could give.

No comments:

Post a Comment