Monday, May 10, 2010

Do you think if you became terminally ill you would change your opinion on religion?

Can you be honest with yourself?Do you think if you became terminally ill you would change your opinion on religion?
No it won't change my opinion on what I believe. Death can be very lovely for the terminally ill. I can honestly say I am not scared of dying anymore, but it doesn't get any easier dealing as I do with the terminally ill.





I have just come back from hospital saying goodbye to a very dear friend and feel very sad we will no longer be able to do all the things we enjoyed in the past, but she knows she is loved by all her family and friends. And thats how it should be as much as possible. If there was really a god out there he would not let us suffer from awful diseases.Do you think if you became terminally ill you would change your opinion on religion?
In a way I'm already terminally ill, as are we all. Life is invariably fatal. Much as I would like to believe there's something after physical death, I don't; and that's not going to change just because a doctor tells me my remaining span is measurable in weeks or months rather than decades. See the link below, under the 'Atheists in Foxholes' heading near the bottom, for testimony from individuals who have braved life-threatening circumstances without conversion.
I have had cancer twice. I was never diagnosed terminal, but there were questions about if I would survive the treatment. And the experience most certainly has changed my opinion on religion. I am/was a liberal Christian, and am now slowly transitioning to being an agnostic or athiest, Im not totally sure. I am still open to the possibility of a god, but I dont think its the one I grew up learning about.
My opinion on religion is constantly changing according to new information, point of view and expanding awareness. The mind can never have a complete grasp of what is. To deny the minds fallible nature is to live in delusion. The nature of life is constant change. To try to hold it still is the most basic error of the human mind.
No, I wouldn't. Honestly.


I think the death bed is the last place people think of their religion. If dying was such a good thing (after all, it means going on to Heaven) then most Christians would embrace death. But they don't. Christians, just as much as atheists or any other religion, fear and dread death just the same. The reason: the know, deep inside, it really is the end.
since i am a christian, i speak fm a christian point of view. If we tie our belief in God to money, health and such ... what sincerity is there in our relationship with God ? It is like a couple getting married for the wrong reasons. Such a relationship is bound to break.





Yes, let's be honest with ourselves. If we turn to God, it must be for the right reasons. That we want to live by His Laws and to be His children, to take whatever life has to offer.





Reminds me of Job. He accepted the good life. When his life turned bad, Job did not blame God. This is a reflection of his sincere relationship with God, simply put.





Remember, God is not santa claus.
I gave my whole life to Christ, and that means even if I get a terminal disease. Nothing will change my love for God. As a matter of fact, because of a chronic pain disease, which I have had for 40 years of my 50- I have come to realize how special and amazing His grace is. Why would I leave the One that saved me, when it is time for me to die? I will wake up in His arms!!





Interesting that I get thumbs down, for sharing my honesty. Why in the world would this bother anyone, if I choose to serve God no matter what?
I may be so scared of death that I'd believe in magical paradise, or a magical 'daddy' or 'mommy' or whatever to take me away from all the fear....





I once spent many (6) years in excruciating pain not knowing what the future held - I did get a bit 'woo woo' and quasi-religious. I nearly died twice, but nothing 'deity-related' happened...just the will to survive...





*EDIT*





In light of what i read on your other question, my thoughts are with you, and of course there may yet be a chance that you can beat it. But none of us can beat death forever, we all just have different times for it.





Make the most of your time in the here and now, give and receive much love.





When it is your time to move on (be it soon or in 50 years time...) know that people love you, and we are all part of the great cycle of life death and birth.





So when it is time, see you next time around...because one thing is inescapable, and that is the fact that we are (all of us)...stardust.





Onwards and upwards, sweet princess. My thoughts with you, as you life your life now.
No because as a Muslim, if you suffer any pain in this life then it will purify you of your sins. Prophet Muhammad (Salla Allahu Alahi Wa Salaam) told us that the dua: ';La ba'sa tahurun insha Allah'; which means Don't worry it is for the Purifcation* if Allah wills. Prophet Muhammad (Salla Allahu Alahi Wa Salaam) taught us that any pain a Muslim suffers results in forgiveness of his sins. This forgiveness in itself is a type of purification.


Allah(Subhanna wa ta'ala) is the only one who can decide what is best for us and is the only one who can cause a terminal illness or a non terminal illness or sickeness to go away. Not doctors. I would put my trust and faith in Allah(Subhanna wa ta'ala) as a Muslim and if Allah (Subhanna wa ta'ala) deemed it best for me to get a terminal illness then I'm not one to object to what Allah (Subhanna wa ta'ala) has decreed for me.
I had a Cholesteatoma (tissue growth) in my right ear and lost half my hearing in it. This happened twice. in 1991 and 2001. This hasn't changed my view. I'll change my view if the alleged made up Jesus came a restored my hearing. But since Jesus never existed, I know it just isn't going to happen.
My opinion of religion will remain unchanged...as long as religion remains unchanged.


My belief that there is no god(s) will remain unchanged so long as the evidence (or lack thereof) remains unchanged.


I can't be any more honest than that.
No. When I am I think we just have to accept the fact and wish our family the best if we past away. I don't believe in God or any of the religions of the world based on solid information and that isn't going to change.
From personal experience, no. this one has not changed his opinion of religion although he is clarifying and writing down his thoughts and understandings of the same to give to his daughter after his passing.
probably not because if i did or didn't believe in something all my life, why would i change my beliefs in the end. wouldn't that contradict my entire life?
No, I would still believe. Remember, there is only one way to leave earth and that is to die so I have been expecting it eventually.
i wouldnt. but i know a lot of people who would. just by going to a funeral, they seek god to protect them all of a sudden.
Change my mind about religion? Absolutely!





Change my mind about God? Never!!!!!
No, I wouldn't. I think more people would actually abandon their beliefs of a god who would sit idly by while a terminal illness took their life.
No. My grandfather didn't - atheist his whole life. Neither did my grandmother, nor my great-Aunt, who in fact recovered.
I don't know. Do you think that terminally ill people would suddenly abandon their fairy and face the real world? I doubt it.
i was watching tyra one day and one kid went on who had cancer. he changed his whole religon so he could use an alterntive way of treatment instead of lukemia %26lt;- ( srry i spelt wrong
I can't imagine any reason why I would suddenly embrace something that has failed to make sense for the rest of my life.
religion and its exploiters have been taking advantage of people's fear for thousand of years
It would be an accelerated affirmation.
Yes, my opinion would intensify my beliefs.
No Of course not, In Fact many of those who were have turned to Christ on their death Bed, I have done at least 2 Hospice Conversions in the last couple of years
no unless it was affecting my brain like rabies, then I probably would see god as my brain was being eaten away
i would think that would be the time that you WOULDN'T change your opinion, seeing as you're going to die anyway.
No. I don't share your fear of nothingness. My beliefs embrace it.
id hope i was wrong and could meet the almighty just to tell him what a mess he made of things.
i hope not. but you have to be mentally ill or extremely gullible to buy what they're selling.

No comments:

Post a Comment