Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Will ill be able to get on a police department with a medical discharge from the military for a mood disorder.

im studying criminal justice so im hoping it all works out.Will ill be able to get on a police department with a medical discharge from the military for a mood disorder.
If the military won't accept you as a soldier, law enforcement won't be interested. Contact your state police recruiter and ask if you will be disqualified before taking any more CJ classes.Will ill be able to get on a police department with a medical discharge from the military for a mood disorder.
Generally you cannot leave your military background out of a job application because they almost always ask. You'd have to lie on your application, and it's not hard for them to discover the lie.





Can you become a police officer with such a discharge? It depends on what disorder it was, whether it is acute or long term, and what your doctor says about it. It would be difficult though, and you may not get on with the department of your choice as your options could be limited.





If your mood disorder is such that YOU feel, in an honest evaluation, that you may not be able to function well, then move to a different career. Otherwise you could be opened up to a lot of trouble if something bad does happen, even if it is not related to your disorder.
This isn't an answer but I'm in the same boat. I was medically discharged for being bipolar from the Army and I wish to work for a fire department as a paramedic but I am worried that my discharge will stop me from getting the job I want. From what I have found so far is that we are protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act, and that we can't be deemed ineligible for a job based on disability so long as our employer doesn't have to make any accommodations that are ';unreasonable'; I guess if we have our conditions under control we should be fine. In theory.
Leaving off your military history? Not a chance.


Here's some info for you. Any time, ANYTIME you are fingerprinted, arrested'. ' joining the military,whatever, your fingerprints go into the FBI database. You get fingerprinted, they're already on file %26amp; the data is available.
I kind of have the same problem, but I was never discharged. If I were you, I would apply and just leave your military career out of the app, don't mention it.
I can't speak for all departments but in mine, and any other I have ever looked into, you could not be considered for employment for receiving a discharge for any circumstances other than standard honorable. You can't leave it out either, because the application will definitely ask and not providing the info is falsification. If that doesn't land you in jail it will at the very least disqualify you. To solve this quickly, simply call the recruiter for the department you want to work for and ask him/her.
Their standards crack me up.





If they really hired the most emotionally stable officers, we could not see them losing their cool on a new video each week. Just to get killed because they escalated the problem
If you can't, you need to prove you don't have a mood disorder
Did you go through MMRB and they put you at a 3 or 4? Depending on the severity of the mood disorder. My reserve unit deployed for Enduring Freedom in 03 and at Fort Riley I needed to have TriCare pay for two of my scripts for an anti-depressant and mood stabilizer. All of a sudden, my First SGT deactivates me and sends me home pending MMRB. I was scared to death b/c I WANTED to be in the military. So, I told my commander that I didn't think I had a REAL mood disorder and they advised me that I had to get a report written up by a psychologist stating there was no disorder. You won't be able to put it in your 201 folder but keep this in your filing cabinet. Go see a phsychologist and get them to review you and you'd better make it very clear you have no mood problems and be sure you answer all your questions on your written ';tests'; as if you were ';';';';normal';';';';. You shouldn't have a problem. Note: If it's a disorder that actually interfers with your day to day functions and decision making abilites then I would advise you to think hard.
sure, why not? I mean cops are all nuts anyway you should fit right in.
probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment