Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I am traveling with my laptop will ill be able to use on amtrak?

will ill be able to view sites like vh1.om if so tell me how to do itI am traveling with my laptop will ill be able to use on amtrak?
As a previous poster stated, most Amtrak trains have power receptacles. They're mostly under the tables in the dining cars. This is nice because it gives you a place to rest your laptop, other then your laptop.





The bad news is that Amtrak trains don't have wi-fi, or any networking capability, of any kind. You might sail past an occasional hot spot, but you'll get maybe a minute or less of connectivity. Some stations have wi-fi, but you won't be staying at them for very long.





Your best bet, by far is to get a cell phone based wireless connection, either EVDO with Sprint/Nextel or HSDPA with Cingular. The rail lines aren't 100% covered by these services, but they'll work a good percentage of the time. If you're streaming video, make sure you get the unlimited bandwidth option. I have Cingular and I use a Sierra Wireless HSDPA card I got on Ebay for about $40. You can get up to 1.2Mbps with it. EVDO is probably a tad faster, most of the time and has slightly better coverage, so if you don't already have a Cingular contract, you might want to go with Sprint.





Hope this helps.I am traveling with my laptop will ill be able to use on amtrak?
You can connect to it by connecting to any other wi-fi network.


I think you should be able to see all sites.
traveled across the country on Amtrak yes you can use laptop just have head set . Amtrak has special cars with power receptacles that you can plug in any thing. Have a good trip Amtrak is a blast

No comments:

Post a Comment