Sunday, January 17, 2010

If both pilots fell ill would you have a go at trying to land the plane?

Like in the disaster movies.....If both pilots fell ill would you have a go at trying to land the plane?
Yes I would, if the crew asked nicely. I'd probably make a better job of it than the aeroplane would manage if left to itself.


UK Air Traffic Control are very patient with aeroplanes in trouble and would make sure that everyone else is out of the way.





I would also demand my money back from the airline. It's not the ';done thing'; to pay for a ticket and then have to work your passage.


Mind you, if any nuns on board started to play the guitar it would start me worrying.If both pilots fell ill would you have a go at trying to land the plane?
Absolutely. I was a Flight Engineer in the USAF and trained for just such an occurrence.
Nah, I'd just sit in the back and let the thing crash...


(Is this a trick question?)
I'm with John B, I could teach these punk kids flying commercial aircraft these days more'n a thing 'er two. Hell I'd get clearance to fly 500agl in front of the Whitehouse and moon Condoleeza and steal a kiss from W's momma, then take that sucker into JFK, absolutely greeeeese that landing, swat the senior flight attendant on the asss and go on over to Bubbas and buy the crew chief and myself a shot of JD and a Miller Lite chaser.
Sure. I've done it hundreds of times on my flight sim accurately. I know it's quite different on a real plane but atleast the chances will increase.
Even touch the control yoke at 36,000 feet with the autopilot off and you are an almost immediate crispy critter.


';I think I will just see how she handles'; pull back on the yoke, stall warning horn goes off and you will be dogmeat in a very short time.


Better to let someone try tell you how to set up the autopilot for the descent and landing stages and let that fly the plane.


In such a situation, I doubt the authorities would let you even try to approach a major population centre (where the airports are) if a non pilot was at the controls, flying manually.





And the same goes for sane single engine, light aircraft, VFR rated pilots too, although the one thing they will be confident about, if honest with themselves, is they will certainly be able to fly you to the scene of a major accident.
Yes they could talk me down.
I am not a pilot, but in the unlikely event of me being the nearest thing (train driver), I would give it a go.





With a bit of luck, some good advice from the ground and using the electronic aides, there is an extremely slim chance that I could do it.
Only if there was no one else in the plane who could do it better, which would be highly unlikely.
Would I have a choice?
Yes - I'm a pilot :-)
Id have a go but id charge by the hour
I'd have to say the chances of both pilots getting sick are 20 trillion to 1. and for those of you than know nothing about flying, and say that you would than have your pilots license (ATP) I have some bad news, you will not earn your license that way, even if you are lucky enough to land a jet safe. some of you people are funny with your answers. but if I was a passenger I would be the 1st one on that flight deck, I am an ATP with over 25k to total flight time.... And just because it happens in the movies does mean it happens in real life... You see pigs fly in movies, but they don't fly in real life...





Captain, Chris W T


ATP- Lear 45, B747- A318 - A380


CFI
not a pilot-but my options being ? `splat`-what`s worse can happen?


get sued on crashing for collateral damage .
If you see it in the Movies, it Must be True, Huh.
Yes, but then again, It wouldnt be much of a challenge for me... Who wouldnt want to play hero...





This is a dream of aspiring pilots everywhere, and it actually happened for some guy... it was a 757 and the captain, who was just finishing upgrade training had a heart attack and died... the more experienced instructor, who was in the right seat doing the checkride moved over to the left and had a private pilot from the back come up to help with the radios/flaps/ect...





I'll see if I can't find the story and post a link
heck i would go to the cockpit, blow up the auto pilot, and let him fly, just like off the move ';Airplane'; Love that movie lol
there was actually an occation when the pilots fell unconscious and one member of the cabin crew went into the cockpit and tried to fly th plane and land it safely, unfortunately it all ended in disaster. If i had to decide on flying the plane ,I have had some practice flying all kinds of jets on a simulator though, so i'd give it a shot, but i'd make sure if there was anyone who could actually fly.





The plane that ended in disaster was ';helios 522';


just incase you want to do some research on it.
Yes, I fly private jets, but the chances of it happening are about the same as me being on an airliner at all. Fly private jets! I suppose the same question, though, could be asked of our passengers on the private jets. It's never happened, to my knowledge, in either an airliner or a private jet. (Would a non-pilot be able to do it? Very doubtful, to be honest, if we're talking two-pilot jet aircraft.)
I'd have a go but I doubt that as a fare paying passenger I'd get anywhere near the flight deck due to security since 9/11.
Absolutely.





How hard can it be? They talk people down in the movies all the time.
Gotta be better than just sitting and waiting to fall out of the sky
The odds of that happening are slim to none, but if I was the only person available (or with enough guts) to do it, yes. I've watched one of my uncles fly small planes, and I have a very basic knowledge of what to do, and ground control would help, so it would be better than sitting there twiddling my thumbs waiting to crash and burn.
YES... but then I have a commercial pilot's license, too...
It sure beats crashing. At least I would give it a shot.
I'm guessing the fly by wire systems would mean I could in theory land the thing in good weather etc but I'd much rather hand it to the guy on here who's a commercial pilot! Actually next time I fly can I sit next to him please?
No worries. probably the best landing that airplane has seen..
I'd be grabbing a parachute.
o yeah
its unlikly to happen, but yeah if no-one else could fly it then id give it a go. most planes have that auto-pilot though i think. but flying it my self id defo do a low fly by to scare people for fun that are walking about on the streets. how excitin would that be?
absolutely.......why not? nothing to lose

No comments:

Post a Comment